WE HAVE SEEN THAT THE GREATEST AND THE SECOND GREATEST COMMANDS ARE NOT PART OF THE TEN ACCORDING TO Matt. 22:36-40. THIS MAKES AT LEAST TWELVE COMMANDMENTS (NOT 10).
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
MOST BIBLE STUDENTS AGREE NUMBERS 18:26 IS NOT PART OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
Some of these questions may seem redundant, but my intent was to phrase them in a slightly different way to help students to see the reasoning behind them. If you feel they have been answered in earlier lessons, please let me know so I can delete them for future students.
1. What did God command the Israelites not to do on Saturday (Exo. 35:2)?
2. To whom did God give the Old Testament commandments (Deut. 5:1-3)?
4. What promise of land did God give to the Israelites if they would keep His covenant (Deut. 11:22-24)?
5. Has God made a covenant with any man today to give him all the (oil) land from Egypt to the Euphrates if he would keep the Old Covenant (Heb. 8:9)?
6. What promise concerning children did God give to the Israelites (Lev. 26:9)?
7. What promise did the Lord give to Israel concerning disease if they would keep His covenant (Exo. 15:26)?
8. What promise did God make the Israelites concerning wealth if they would obey His commandments (Deut. 28:11-13)?
9. Did God promise eternal life to anyone who would obey the OT commandments (John 5:39)?
10. **Did Jesus come to destroy the Law or the prophets (Matt. 5:17)?
12. Did God promise to make a New Covenant with His people in the last days (Heb. 8:6-13)?
13. Has God made a New Covenant with Spiritual Israel (His church) today (Heb. 9:15-17)?
14. Describe how God compared the New Covenant to a man’s will (Heb. 9:15-17)?
15. According to civil law, if a man makes a new will, what automatically happens to the old will?
16. When did Jesus’ New Covenant take effect (Heb. 9:17)?
17. How many wills (covenants) does God have in effect at the same time (Heb. 10:9)?
18. What happened to the Old Covenant when God made a New Covenant with His people (Heb 8:10-13)?
**The NIV, NAS, NLT, RSV, NAS—UPDATED, erroneously use the word “abolish” in Mt. 5:17 instead of destroy which makes it contradict Eph. 2:15. This is a very important heads-up concerning the versions you may be using. If any students are following these spurious versions they will not understand the question. Remember also that I made a notation regarding which version to use in all my courses.
“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil” (Matt. 5:17).
Destroy: Strong’s NT:2647 kataluo (kat-al-oo’-o); from NT:2596 and NT:3089; to loosen down (disintegrate), i.e. (by implication) to demolish (literally or figuratively); specially [compare NT:2646] to halt for the night:
“Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;” (Eph. 2:15).