Exodus 20:18-26—GOD CONTINUES TO GIVE HIS LAWS.
18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
21 And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
22 And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
23 Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.
26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.
NOTICE PARTICULARLY Exodus 21:1-5
1 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out by himself.
5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
Exodus 21:15—And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
Exodus 21:17—And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
Some of these questions have been used earlier with slightly different wording. Those should be easy for everyone to answer.
1. Why did the Israelites ask God to stop speaking to them from the mountain (Exod. 20:18-19)?
2. Would God have continued speaking from the mountain if the Israelites had not asked Him to stop?
3. Who did they request to speak to them concerning God’s laws (Exod. 20:19)?
5. What was the next command God gave to the children of Israel (Exod. 20:24)?
6. Was the command found in Exodus 20:24-26 found in the Ten Commandments?
7. What was the greatest command God gave to the children of Israel (Matt. 22:36-38)?
8. Was the greatest command of the Old Testament included in the Ten Commandments?
9. What was the second greatest command God gave to the children of Israel (Matt. 22:36-39)?
10. Was the second greatest command a part of the Ten Commandments given on Mount Sinai?
11. If the two greatest commands were not spoken to the Israelites from Mount Sinai, did the Old Law include more than Ten Commandments?
12. Were there more commandments God gave to Israel in Exo. 21?
13. Were there more commandments given to the Levites in the book of Leviticus?
15. Was the command to give ten percent of their income one of the Ten Commandments?
16. What did God command the Israelites to do with a child who cursed or struck his father or his mother (Exodus 21:15-17)?
17. What would happen if someone of the Jewish nationality in America today obeyed the commands in Exodus 21:15-17?
18. List the laws regarding a Hebrew slave (Exod. 21).