WHEN DID THE NEW COVENANT COME INTO EFFECT?
“In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away” (Heb. 8:13).
CAN TWO COVENANTS (wills) BE IN EFFECT AT ONE TIME (Heb. 9:15-17)?
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE FIRST WILL IF I MAKE A SECOND?
“And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. 16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth” (Heb. 9:15-17).
Rom. 3:20—Therefore by the deeds of the law (Mosaic Law) there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Rom. 3:28—Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Gal. 2:16—Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law (Mosaic Law), but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal. 3:10—For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
1. With whom did God make a covenant in Mount Sinai (Deut. 5:1-5)?
2. With whom did God NOT make a covenant in Mount Sinai (Deut. 5:3)?
3. Did God make the Old Covenant with the Egyptians or any other Gentiles?
4. If we are part of the Gentiles (non-Jews), and God did not make the Old Covenant with the Gentiles, are we under the Old Covenant?
7. What happened to Israelites who tried to be justified by the Old Covenant (Gal. 5:1-4)?
10. What happened to God’s covenant with the Jews when the Jewish nation was destroyed in AD 70?
11. What happened to the Old Covenant when Jesus died on the cross (Col. 2:14)?
12. With what does God compare the Old and New Covenants (Heb 9:15-17)?
13. How many wills can a man have in effect at one time?
14. What happens to the first will when a man makes another will?