The following questions have to do with property possession under the Law of Moses. This is pertinent for understanding Naboth’s answer to Ahab and for understanding what happened to Naboth’s sons at the same time (2 Kings 9:26).
- Why might Naboth not want to sell his vineyard (Num. 36:7; Ezek. 46:18)?
Using Leviticus 25:1-55, answer the following questions:
- How do you know that fields could be redeemed by the original owner within a year or, if not then, in the year of Jubilee?
- Who could the Israelites NOT sell their lands to? Why?
In the account found in Numbers 27 and Numbers 36, who received the inheritance of their father?
- What would happen if they married within another tribe (Num. 27:7; Num. 36)?
- By implication, who usually received the inheritance (You may also search keywords birthright or firstborn.)?
- When there was no heir, who inherited? Give the line of succession.
- Who were daughters to marry (Num. 36:3-13; Deut. 7:1-4)?
- By implication, who would sons of the tribes marry?
- What was to be the inheritance of the tribe of Levi (Num. 18; Num. 35; Deut. 10:9; 18:1)?
- What was the situation surrounding Ruth’s inheritance and why the nearest of kin could not take possession of it when Boaz gave him the chance (Ruth 4:5)?